Soft Contact Lenses with UV Filter. Everything you need to know
In mark´ennovy we understand the importance of giving your patient the highest standard of UV protection, specially during the summertime. Therefore, we have created a guide to remember what UV radiation is, its types and what filters can be found in contact lenses.
“Everyone is exposed to UV radiation from the sun and an increasing number of people are exposed to artificial sources used in industry, commerce and recreation. The sun is by far the strongest source of ultraviolet radiation in our environment.”World Health Organization. 2016. Radiation: Ultraviolet (UV) radiation. [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/radiation-ultraviolet-(uv). [Accessed 22 June 2021].
Understanding UV Radiation
Ultraviolet (UV) radiation is below the visible spectrum of light and is divided into three bands:
- UVC (100-280 nm) is the most harmful radiation for life because it has the highest level of energy. But it almost never reaches the ground since the ozone layer absorbs it.
- UVB (280-315 nm) has less energy and, therefore, is less harmful. Also, the ozone layer absorbs about 90% of UVB radiation.
- UVA (315-400 nm) is the one that should concern us. It still has a lot of energy, in comparison with the visible, and almost all of it reaches the ground.
Types of UV filters
According to ISO 18369:2-2017, there are two types of UV filters when it comes to soft contact lenses:
- Class 1: classification for a contact lens whose spectral transmittance of UVA (τUVA) < 10,0 % and whose spectral transmittance of UVB (τUVB) < 1,0 %
- Class 2: classification for a contact lens whose spectral transmittance of UVA (τUVA) < 50,0 % and whose spectral transmittance of UVB (τUVB) < 5,0 %
Or to phrase it another way, Class 1 UV filters absorb more than 90% of the UVA and more than 99% of the UVB and Class 2 UV filters, more than 50% of the UVA and more than 95% of the UVB.
mark’ennovy lenses with a Class 1 UV filter
mark’ennovy offers you a wide range of soft contact lenses with a Class 1 UV filter:
- Blu:gen, Blu:kidz and Blu:ssentials block at least 93% of UVA and 99% of UVB. Besides, all of them include a selective blue light blocking to stop at least 14% of the potentially harmful blue light.
- Saphir Rx and Brilliant block at least 90% of UVA and 99% UVB.
- Xtensa SiHy blocks at least 91% of UVA and 99% of UVB.
All patients will be able to wear contact lenses with the most adequate fitting, whatever the shape, size or graduation of their eyes may be, thanks to the exceptional combination of parameters and geometries of these contact lenses.
Do you want to know more?
Contact your local business development manager or Customcer Care for details:
T. 0800 328 0610 / F. 0800 328 0649
Are you a contact lens user and want to know more about mark’ennovy?
Exclusively sold to practitioners, please ask your trusted eye care professional for more information.